Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day!

I think I'm a good citizen of Planet Earth. I recycle like a madwoman. I never throw anything away without thinking, "Could I possibly reuse this?" and if I possibly could, I do. I try not to buy anything that's unnecessarily overpackaged (I'm talking to you, Individually-Wrapped Cheese Slices). We all turn off the water when we're brushing our teeth and turn off the lights when we leave the room and all that good stuff.

Recently, I started to feel guilty for putting juice boxes in my kids' lunches practically every day, and bought a couple of those reusable plastic drink boxes with straws. This worked really well for, oh, maybe a week. Yesterday Horatio announced that his drink box had leaked all over his lunchbox, and this morning I took a good look at the thing.

There's a big crack in the bottom of it. Seriously! Five, maybe six uses and it's broken! It's possible that Horatio dropped it and then forgot he dropped it, because that's no big deal really, people drop stuff all the time. I'm constantly dropping stuff, I wouldn't even blame the kid if that's what happened - I'd still blame the drink box, because it should have been made sturdy enough to tolerate being dropped once or twice by an 11-year-old, for crying out loud. He swears he didn't abuse it or use it as a lunchroom missile, so there's no excuse for it being broken. I'm so annoyed. Here I am, trying to do right by my planet, and being thwarted by human beings who can't even make a reusable drink box that will last more than a week. Sheesh!

Anyway, I've already bought him another one, from a different manufacturer, so we'll see if this one works out. Thank you all for tolerating my Earth Day rant! I am going to go outside and play in my garden for a while when I'm done here. A little dirt and some lovely young plants should make everything better.

Why yes, I have been knitting! I finished the right front of Peg yesterday, but forgot to take a picture. (It looks just like half of the back; see previous post. Sorry.) I've also turned the heel and finished the gusset on the Felici sock, which is much better for TV knitting than Peg is, because Peg involves a lot of obsessive counting on my part (that's not a complaint, I'm just sayin') and I didn't want to miss a single bit of "Doctor Who" or "My Boy Jack."

Speaking of Doctor Who - the Christmas episode, which just premiered in the US this past Friday, featured both Lionel Hardcastle and Richard Bucket! Kind of fun for those of us who love British sitcoms!

1 comment:

EnnaVic said...

That is a great episode of Dr.Who :)

I loved Geoffrey Palmer and Wendy Craig in Butterflies. He has such a lugubrious face - a bit like Martin Clunes in the characters he shines in.

Earth Day didn't really register here this year.